BURLINGTON, ON, January 17, 2022 /CNW/ — With the start of a new year comes New Year’s resolutions, new beginnings, and goal setting. With that in mind, it’s also important for pet owners to help set goals for their pets. That’s why PetSmart is here to help you plan for a happier, healthier 2022.
Below, PetSmart’s veterinarian, Dr. Jennifer Freeman, shares her top four tips for pet health and well-being in 2022:
#1: Exercise regularly.
One of the most popular human resolutions also applies to pets. Most dogs typically need at least 30 minutes of physical activity each day, whether it’s walking, running, or fetching.
- When the cold weather is in full swing, the Top Paw® Outdoor Dog Shoes and 3-in-1 Pet Coat will keep pups warm and toasty while they meet their daily training goals.
- In accordance with current government guidelines, PetSmart’s Doggie Day Camp is a great indoor option for mental and physical stimulation. The day camp provides pets with a structured schedule of enriching activities, including mentally stimulating games, story hours, “Happy hour”, rest and relaxation and bubble time.
#2: Choose the right food.
There’s no doubt that eating nutritious food is another popular goal for 2022 — and that goes for pets, too. Knowing what’s in your pet’s diet can help you better understand what type of food your dog or cat eats or doesn’t eat. “Start by reading the ingredients on the food label, paying special attention to the first three ingredients, which make up the bulk of the food,” said Dr. freeman
- Always consult your veterinarian to choose the most appropriate diet for your pet’s needs. If you decide a switch is in order, PetSmart staff are always available to help pet owners make their choices.
#3: Keep your pet’s brain active and sharp.
Instead of just adding more physical exercise to your pet’s routine, add a few mind games to really tire him out. Mental stimulation enriches our pets’ lives by giving them something meaningful to do, and since these activities relieve boredom, they reduce the likelihood that our beloved pets will develop behavior problems.
- There are several ways to keep your pet’s mind sharp and active at home, from various dog puzzle toys and stimulating cat toys, classic commands, teaching tricks or even a game of fetch.
#4: Groom your pet.
Ideally, dogs should be professionally groomed every four to six weeks. “Regular grooming is important for every dog, regardless of size, age, and coat type, because it helps prevent common problems like excess shedding, skin and paw irritation, painful hair mats, and excessively long toenails,” said Dr. freeman
- The academy-trained stylists at PetSmart’s Grooming Salon have over 800 hours of hands-on grooming instruction that includes bathing, trimming and styling at least 200 dogs of all breeds and sizes, annual safety certification, and offers full bathing and haircut services and walks . in services.
- In between professional grooming services, pet parents can keep their dogs’ coats groomed by using products like the Top Paw® 3-in-1 Wet-Dry Pet Grooming Glove and specialty pet shampoos like Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogsthat provide the right balance of cleansers and moisturizers for a softer, healthier looking coat.
Visit www.PetSmart.ca for additional training, products and resources.
About PetSmart® Canada:
In Canada, PetSmart, Inc. is the largest specialty pet retailer, providing services and solutions for the lifelong needs of pets. At PetSmart, we love pets and believe pets make us better people. Every day, with every connection, the passionate people at PetSmart help pet owners bring their pets closer so they can live more fulfilling lives together. This vision influences everything we do for our customers, how we support our employees and how we give back to our communities. PetSmart employs approximately 4,800 people and operates nearly 150 pet stores in Canada and 10 PetSmart PetsHotel® boarding kennels in-store. The retailer offers a wide range of competitively priced pet foods and products, as well as services such as dog training, pet grooming, boarding at PetSmart Doggie Day Camp™ and pet adoption. PetSmart and PetSmart Charities® of Canada work with more than 200 animal welfare organizations to bring adoptable pets to stores so they have the best possible chance of finding forever homes. Through this in-store adoption program and other outstanding events, PetSmart has facilitated more than 340,000 adoptions, more than any other in-store organization.
Find PetSmart on Facebook: https://www.Facebook.com/PetSmartCanada
Follow PetSmart on Instagram: @PetSmartCanada
Follow PetSmart on TikTok: @PetSmartCanada
Follow PetSmart on Twitter: @PetSmart
See PetSmart on YouTube: https://www.Youtube.com/PetSmart
SOURCE PetSmart Canada
For more information: Carly Newton, Golin Canada, [email protected]