Russian forces are driven out of Kyiv while Ukraine reclaims its territory and supreme commander Colonel Denis Kurilo is killed


Ukraine’s military says it has “eliminated” another Russian colonel, adding to a long list of senior Russian military officials wiped out in Putin’s war against Ukraine.

Ukrainian forces announced on Tuesday that Colonel Denis Kurilo, the commander of the 200th separate motorized rifle brigade, was killed outside Kharkiv.

Kurilo’s reported death on the 34th day of the Kremlin’s “special operation” comes after at least seven Russian generals were killed in Ukraine, according to Ukrainian and Western officials.

It also comes as Ukraine’s military announced several territorial gains, with the north-eastern town of Trostyanets being liberated from Russian troops and several areas outside of Kyiv being handed back into Ukraine’s hands. According to the military, areas in the Chernihiv region were also liberated.

The mayor of the town of Irpin, outside of Kyiv – which was decimated by Russian bombs as Putin’s troops attempted to gain a foothold over the Ukrainian capital – said Russian forces had been completely driven out.

Authorities there have begun the grim task of disposing of the dead, he said, adding that some of the bodies of those killed by Russian troops appear to have been mined.

Meanwhile, the Russian Defense Ministry on Tuesday announced a decision to drastically reduce the number of its troops around Kyiv and Chernihiv.

The announcement came as Kyiv and Moscow held renewed peace talks in Istanbul, where Vladimir Medinsky, the Putin adviser appointed to head the Russian delegation, described the troop reductions as “two steps to de-escalate the conflict”.

CNN’s Jim Sciutto, citing two senior US officials: reported that Russia had already begun withdrawing troops from around the capital, with Battalion Tactical Groups seen withdrawing.

Elsewhere, however, Russian forces only intensified their attacks, with Mykolaiv’s administrative building coming under rocket fire early Tuesday. At least seven people were killed and another 22 injured in the strike, local authorities said.


Comments are closed.